04 January 2012

christmas lives

I'm a "small town girl" poser.

I love that our smallish suburb has streets lined with every kind of church you could imagine and houses that are old enough to tell some stories.  I love that open fields and the middle of nowhere are within a 10-minute drive.

But let's be honest, what would this girl do if I didn't have a Publix, and Old Navy, and urban surroundings on the other end of a short highway trip?

That being said, something caught my eye today that made me want to reach out and give the town of Simpsonville and all of it's citizens a giant Christmas hug.  It's these folk (n. a small-town word for people).


January 4th, and they are holding out strong.  Wreaths and garland and Christmas cheer to boot.

I feel like I cheated the holiday season a bit this year.  I didn't exactly have our decorations down December the 26th, but it was only because our six-week old beauty didn't see fit.  With a newborn thrown into the already busy holiday mix, I woke up one day and felt like this December was quickly leaving me in it's dust.  And I had few new moments to recall in my memoirs.  Overwhelmed with disappointment, I was sort of bah-hum-bug by the time we collapsed on the couch Christmas night, after a parade of family gatherings.

So today when I drove by their dreamy house, and then turned the car around to drive by again, I received an unexpected shot in the arm of holiday blessing.  Christmas lives in our small town.

And we can't forget this guy.  Red is definitely his color.

sag

No comments:

Post a Comment