10 August 2012

on butt paste and God's love for us

Well I have a hugely busy day ahead.  I really don't have time for dilly-dally and chit-chat.

But I had the strangest encounter yesterday.  It was something completely new to my senses.  I was somewhere.  Where is not important.

If you must know, I was on the other side of town picking up "butt paste" that was mixed especially for us by a GHS surgeon who thinks he's the authority on "butt paste".  It's not for me.  Piper has some pesky diaper rash.

So there I am, just trying to rid my child of the elusive rash that has marked her tush for who knows how long, so that I can get back to our perfect life without worry of how we will pay the next bill or where our next meal will come from, when I get interrupted by people.

The longer I sat there talking to the sweetest 15-year old girl, who clearly had more on her plate than I did back then, the more I loved the people around me.

One thing I love about having a child, especially a child that smiles at anyone who will give her the slightest bit of attention, is that it breaks down all sorts of barriers.  This point also gives me hives, because it means me talking to strangers.    It means that my conversations with the sort at the hospital pharmacy extend beyond hello and goodbye.  It means that they see a beautiful, smiling baby girl and feel at ease to tell me their aches and struggles.

And as a result, I can't help but open my heart up to them and want to take a small chunk of their pain upon myself.

I didn't have the words to say when I left.  I can only hope that stumbling over a "have a nice day" conveyed what I really meant...you can be a part of our world if you want to.  We can love you, and you can love us back, and maybe you will see Christ in this.

Just so you know, I kissed my baby a little harder last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment