27 July 2012

Games of the XXX Olympiad

In honor of the opening ceremonies this evening, I will share my favorite childhood Olympic memory.  It's this one.



I was in 2nd grade, and had just started tumbling classes.  I absolutely fell in love with the 1996 women's gymnastic team, the "magnificent seven".  I still remember watching Kerri Scrugg's vault, which clinched America's team gold, after a disappointing fall on her first attempt.

I remember her amazing one-foot landing.  I remember her being carried to the podium by Bela Karolyi.  And I remember going to tumbling class and landing all of my passes on one foot, with my arms proudly lifted into the air to imitate her signature landing.  I so badly wanted to be a part of that Olympic team, and my favorite thing about these games is that we can vicariously dream through these athletes and feel like we are a part of the team.

Truth be told, I cry like a baby when I watch this video.

p.s.  I just remembered.  All the other girls at school picked Shannon Miller and Dominique Moceanu as their favorite, but I always like Dominique Dawes because she was tall like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment