20 February 2012

if all we have is Jesus

If all we have is Jesus, then [hope in Jesus] becomes that much more real.

That's what my heart ate up during yesterday morning's helping of preaching.  And boy am I ready for seconds.  As Pollyanna would say, "He sure sermonizes something fierce!"  The Apostle Paul, that is.

Revelation is hard.  Our church has been in Revelation for one year now.  So far, I've learned that Revelation is hard.  And it is a letter to suffering and persecuted saints. 

I'd say that's relevant.  Not that my present sufferings compare with that of the early church.  Or even many of today's foreign churches.  Never the less, I am gently reminded this morning that we can cast ALL our cares upon Jesus, because he cares for us.  And for me.  And for the saints across the globe who are suffering for His name's sake.  And for an acquaintance of mine who, in her early twenties, is grieving for her baby girl born at eighteen weeks into the arms of Jesus. 

Nothing like reality to make a girl weep as she looks at her healthy, and beautiful little girl.  Kicking and cooing and eating her fingers.  Lord, please save her.

And lastly, Lord, help me to place my hope in you.  Because it certainly is true that when we are stripped of all our worldly desires and wants, then our hope in Christ becomes the only thing we can cling to.  I would prefer not to learn that lesson the hard way.

I set out to write something different this morning, but I can't quite remember what it was.

sag




No comments:

Post a Comment