05 February 2012

creative endeavors

I was recently reading a rather hateful article from a photographer who was defending her prices.  I can sympathize with her frustrations, as she included numerous accounts of people blasting her for charging too much as well as a break-down of the expenses and profit involved in running a photography business.  The truth is, it's understandable.


However, in her frustrations, she began to rant about other artists.  Specifically, "stay at home moms who are gifted an expensive camera and suddenly decide they are professional photographers".  She criticized women who are trying to make a little extra money on the side by "handing out 100-print discs for sixty dollars because they don't respect themselves or the craft".

I began to feel a little foolish.  I'm a stay at home mom (for now).  I was given an expensive camera as a gracious gift from my family.  I recently found a most gorgeous, and willing model who works for just room and board.  And I have discovered that I enjoy taking photos of Sweet P (aforementioned model) and other things.

I should clarify.  By no means do I intend to start a business at this point.  I don't claim to possess any real talent.  I simply want to freeze time and store precious memories.




But I am discouraged, because creativity of any sort often results in vulnerability.  Sharing photos seemed to lose it's appeal.  I suddenly didn't feel that my hands were skilled enough to create.  And even putting samples of my writing on this blog feels more like baring my soul in front of a large audience of my biggest critics.



When creative endeavors are shared with others, the others have the power to steal the joy involved in creating.  Or, they can encourage a craft and the use of God's gifts to us.

As a believer, it is my responsibility to encourage and lift others up.  That doesn't mean flowery language about something that just isn't my style.  To me, it means building relationships with people's "inner artist" (for lack of less cheesy phraseology), discovering their intent, and glorying in the fact that God created billions of unique people with different abilities and style and taste.

 

So to you, photographer lady who's doing your thing, I understand your frustrations.  But your methods of communication are not edifying.

sag

2 comments:

  1. Dear hateful photographer lady: I would respectfully submit that Sarah's "worst" photo of Sweet P on her worst day with her worst expression is better than anything that you have to offer. So bam, take that. :D

    ReplyDelete