25 November 2014

In light of the coming holiday...

Pardon me while I rant for just a moment.  I resent the fact that people hate on us Christmas lovers; claiming that by enjoying the Christmas lights that were hung by our neighbors a full week ago and the familiar sounds of crooners seranading us with "chestnuts roasting on an open fire", we are neglecting Thanksgiving and are therefore not thankful.  I can't think of Christmas without feeling grateful, and I love Thanksgiving as a vital part of the holiday season. That being said...

Today and I am thankful for a God that provides, in so many ways.  When we hear that "God is our provider" we can tend to think of physical needs and monetary gain, and he is certainly that.  It is amazing to look back on those scary moments when Zach and I were newlyweds learning how to provide for ourselves and see that God, in every circumstance, was the one who filled our every need.  In times where we said, "We need just a little bit more, God.", he provided, often by giving us that little bit more, but more often by showing us His sufficiency.  We have never gone hungry, never been without a roof over our head, and never wanted for anything that we needed.  Praise God.

But God as provider is so much more, because God as provider means that He made a way for us.  He gives us grace and a means to know Him.  He gives us fellowship with other believers and with His son, Jesus.  He gives us encouragement and mercy for each new day, and He gives us hope that will see His goodness in the land of the living.

So, while I may already be listening to "jingle bells" and watching "Elf", I am thanking the Lord for His goodness and faithfulness each day and each year, and looking forward to sharing that sentiment with loved ones on Thursday.  This year I'm responsible for desserts, so look for some recipes soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment