06 November 2014

a love for the saints

The realization that we are wrong is earth-shattering.  It can make us retreat to our inner-selves where there is no one to challenge our carefully crafted walls.  It can make us stumble around in the darkness, and even deny logic if only it would mean that we don't have to admit defeat.  It can make us hardened to the truth.

At some point in my early adult life, after being privileged with sitting under the very richest of Bible teaching and embracing doctrine that opened my eyes to the unfathomable beauty that is God's plan for redemption, I began to realize that I was wrong

I recently heard our pastor talk about two opposing human responses to receiving a gift:  1.  We are filled with gratitude to the gift giver, praising him for his goodness.  OR 2.  We begin to believe that there is something praise-worthy in ourselves, and the giver of such gifts is doing so because we are most deserving.

Unfortunately, upon receiving the gift of a new understanding of God's glory and goodness I became puffed up with knowledge.  I thought that the little understanding that I had gave me the corner on truth.  I turned from the giver of all gifts, and His word, because I thought I had it all figured out.

The results were a lonely, discouraged girl who had managed to isolate herself.  I began to realize I was wrong, but took the most difficult approach in course-correcting.  I retreated.  I justified.  I maintained that my behavior was right, because I still believed my thinking was right.  I hardened myself towards those who seemed joyful in their service of Christ and His church.  His church.

It was then, that the Lord broke in and showed me His love for His church.  He began to unravel the tightly wound cords that composed my self-centered idea of what Church should look like.  He rearranged my list of priorities in the Church.

Ephesians 5 is your typical wedding passage, instructing husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the church.  How did He love the church?

24But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything. 25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, 26so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,…

Christ gave Himself up for her, His bride, and I discarded her because of doctrinal differences. 

These days, my mantra has changed.  I've learned to love truth because of the way it puts God's glory on display and sets His church free.  And I'm learning to love community with the saints of God, knowing that without it we might not make it.

Hebrews 10
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

No comments:

Post a Comment