03 April 2012

lessons learned

I'm hesitant to share parenting advice.  I don't.  I'm new at this, and have little to contribute.  You won't be seeing any books with my name on the cover, and I don't claim to be a "baby whisperer".  That title is reserved for women who've rocked many a babe through sick and sleepless nights, when rest and peace are far from us. 

But I am slowly starting to realize my own parenting philosophies, and what works best for us.  What works for our family is the best thing we can do for ourselves and our little one.

As of now, almost five months in, I can pin point two invaluable lessons that I may just carry with me for the rest of my days.

One.  Flexibility is key.  This can be said of life, as well as dealing with children.  We are trying to roll with the punches over here.  I say we.  Zach doesn't let anything get him down.  He calms me down.  Says everything is going to be okay, and really means it.  And then I am able to take a slow, deep breath, and move on.  Even when Sweet P's plans are different from our plans.  Even when she takes a short nap or a long nap.  Even when the walls of our crib seem to be caving in all around us.  Even when.

God is in control.  Resting in that knowledge, I can be flexible.  And thank Him, Marion Piper seems to be learning that lesson herself.

Two.  There is no cap on the number of times you can place a phone call to Heritage Pediatrics.  You can talk to a nurse, and she will understand when you say that your little one has "gooky eye".  The phone calls are free, and so is the peace of mind.  That is why they are on speed dial.


With that being said, a video, because who doesn't love an adorably inquisitive face like this?



P.S.  Sometimes you send your husband to the CVS just across the way to pick up some eye drops that resulted from one of those casual, trying-not-to-sound panicked phone calls to the doc who said that you should just come in to check out that eye ball, and what do you know there is a slight infection that can be easily fixed.  And sometimes you start to worry that he has taken thirty minutes to literally cross the street and retrieve the prescription.  But never fear, he was just picking up a movie and your favorite treat from the Ice Cream Station to hunker down for the thunder storm that is brewing just outside your window.  Life is good.

sag

No comments:

Post a Comment