31 March 2012

I need Jesus

This morning during an overly pensive drive to the grocery store, I began to think about what our future holds and raising children.

While stopped at a red light, waiting to make a right turn onto a majorly busy road, I began to pray earnestly for patience.  I asked the Lord that he would make me slow to anger and quick to love in dealing with every day life, and more specifically disciplining our child and future children.

No sooner had I said, "Hallelujah and Amen", than the jerk driver in the car behind me laid on his horn, because I was apparently too slow in pulling out into oncoming traffic.  Let me tell you, folks.  I was immediately filled with white, hot rage.  We are talking the fiery fury of a thousand suns.  I felt that his irritation was unjustified, and how dare he call me out in front of all of Simpsonville...or at least the motorists at this particular intersection.

It took no less than three one hundreths of a second for me to resort to anger and fail in my resolve to be patient.

Furthermore, it took about about five seconds for the Lord to gently tap me on the shoulder and remind me of my extensive need for grace and forgiveness.  God is good.

Even when I am selfish, self-righteous, and down right rude.  Even when I think that my ways are higher than theirs.  Even when I'm checking in as self-proclaimed mayor of the right turn lane at the intersection of my pridefullness and "who do they think they are?"  God is good, and He lovingly scoops up His children, places them on His knee, and rebukes the heck out of 'em.  Because that is what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment