16 May 2012

running playlist

I've been running a little bit.  Heavy emphasis on little bit.  More on that later.

I absolutely can NOT go running without my tunes.  You know my jams.  Motivation music.  Nothing kills any form of exercise quicker for me than to get going and have my ipod go dead.  That's the worst.

Not just any music makes the running playlist cut, though, and it is about time to revamp.

In trimming the fat off of my current playlist and searching for new songs I began thinking about my criteria for running songs.  And I've come to the realization that if I'm going to hit the pavement, the music I'm listening to must be associated with a memory of some sort in order to suffice.

Just a few examples:
  • Chris Brown's "Forever" is the song that Zach and I danced to at our wedding reception, and "The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson takes me back to the weeks we spent taking dance lessons together, leading up to the big day.  It was so much fun and I will never forget that time in our lives.

  • "Good Life" by One Republic reminds me of my dad, and the way that he gets fixated on pop songs every so often and sings them ALL the time.  He's goofy and it makes me laugh.
  • This one is a tad embarrassing, but "Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus reminds me of my days living in Brashier with some of my best gal pals.  No lie, we would dance around our apartments singing that song at the top of our lungs.  I miss those days so much sometimes.

  • "Your Love is Strong" by Jon Foreman puts me in mind of one of the most beautiful weddings I have ever attended; where I was reminded of the loving God that Zach and I committed to serve together.  The couple are dear friends of ours from college, and their wedding was truly a worship service.  Love it!
  • Throughout our relationship, people have reminded Zach and I of 'our' Ben Folds Five song-- "Zak and Sara".  It reminds me where we've come from and where we're heading.  And of course, how I get to fall in love with Zach every day, all over again.
What are some songs that you guys like to sweat to?  What is your exercise music criteria?  Any song recommendations from my faithful readers?


1 comment:

  1. Songs I run with: Sweet Child of Mine (G&R), Intergalactic (Beastie Boys), Thunderstruck (ACDC), and the classic "To He** With The Devil" by Stryper. I feel like sprinting when he hits that last vocal note, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete