19 April 2012

mere civility is not a fruit of the spirit

Nowhere in Galations does Paul tell us that simply tolerating your brothers and sisters in Christ is how we bear fruit as believers.  At least I don't think so...let's take a look.

Galatians 5 

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 

Yep.  Nothing about the law abidingness of smiling, nodding, and ducking into the nearest bathroom.  And yet, I often find myself sighing through a difficult or annoying conversation, just waiting to talk about something more pleasant, or to someone "cooler".  Lord, forgive me for exchanging genuine fellowship with the saints for shallow musings about the weather and Gamecock football.

Merely being civil towards one another is reserved for high school girls who are incapable of confrontation, and are just waiting for you to walk away so they can talk about your knock-off shirt, whether or not your coach purse is real, and who you think you are talking to the boy that they had a crush on last summer.  Please know, that I was this girl.  I am still this girl at times.

For believers in the Lord Jesus, we have fellowship around the joy of God's grace and mercy towards us.  And despite our sin nature, we can have patience with one another, because God was first patience with us.  Praise the Lord for His loving-kindness and faithfulness toward us.

sag

P.S. I don't want anyone thinking that I took an extra dose of my judgy pills this morning.  I am writing a reminder necessary challenge to myself in hopes that all believers are encouraged.  As followers of Christ, it is good for us to preach the gospel to one another in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment