27 April 2012

the mean girls

I am constantly falling victim to random articles and things that people post on facebook.  More often than not, they're a waste of time.  This one caught my eye, however, and I think it is beautiful.

It is from a mother to a daughter.  It is sincere and loving about harsh realities, and the ever present "mean girl" that lurks in the bathrooms and dark corners of every middle and high school, cheerleading team, or church youth group.  It is lovely in its refreshing course in the direction of moving past things that aren't ultimate, because bitterness is a deep root.

When sharing this with my own little girl, who heaven forbid, should one day be eight years old, and then twelve years old, and then bless my soul, sixteen years old, I would add this:

I will, of course, always love you.  I, too, will be there waiting with scripture, and milk and cookies, and the movie Pollyanna when you step off of the bus in tears because the "mean girl" has struck, and you happened to be the target she zeroed in on that day.


But, so help me, do NOT become the "mean girl".  That path is treacherous, dangerous, and full of heartache.  Just imagine how alone you felt when she attacked; because her loneliness is far greater.  The "mean girl" has fallen prey to all the lies she's been told and told herself.  She does not know what it means to be a daughter of King Jesus, and you can show her...just don't become her.  Unfortunately, I'm speaking from experience.



It is actually for reasons like these that Zach and I prayed for boys.  We had plans for backyard mud piles and orange slices after football games.  But the Lord gave us something so much better than our plans.

2 comments:

  1. How come you have the coolest kid ever? I mean, just look at that picture. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I wish N would leave her sunglasses on her face! Enjoy the days where she can't realize how to get them off! ;)

    ReplyDelete